Alprostadil to treat vasodilator drugs that increase blood flow in the body. Increasing blood flow to the penis, alprostadil contributes to erectile dysfunction.
Alprostadil can be applied in the form of injections or suppositories. If medication is applied in the form of a suppository, it is introduced into the external urethral orifice. To perform the injections required syringe and needle, through which the drug is introduced into the penis.
If you were given alprostadil injections, then it can be purchased under such brand name: Caverject. Alprostadil in suppository form are sold under the brand name Muse (medical urethral suppository for maintaining an erection).
Alprostadil should be used only for men suffering from impotence. If you use this drug for other purposes, can cause irreversible damage to the penis.
- 1 Is Alprostadil Injection therapy effective?
- 2 How quickly will affect Alprostadil Injection?
- 3 Who should not take Alprostadil Injection?
- 4 How does alprostadil in the form of injections?
- 5 How can I inject the drug?
- 6 How do I choose the most suitable form of use of drugs?
- 7 Storage of medicines Alprostadil Injection
- 8 What are the side effects of Alprostadil Injection has?
Is Alprostadil Injection therapy effective?
Alprostadil used in the form of injections, contributes to a persistent erection sufficient for physical intimacy, 80% of men with erectile dysfunction, regardless of their age and cause of the problem. Alprostadil used in suppository form, is less effective than in the form of injections, and contributes to erectile dysfunction in 30-40% of men with impotence.
How quickly will affect Alprostadil Injection?
Alprostadil usually begins to act after 5-20 minutes after its application. Sexual intercourse should be started after 10-30 minutes after taking the medication. This will ensure an erection that will last about an hour. She also can continue after ejaculation. It is recommended to use the drug was not more than three times a week, making between-meal break of 24 hours.
Who should not take Alprostadil Injection?
This medicine is not for everyone. Before taking alprostadil, tell your doctor:
• If you have ever had an allergic reaction to alprostadil.
• If you are allergic to any drugs, foods, preservatives or dyes.
• If you are taking any prescription drugs or money over the counter, including herbal remedies and dietary supplements.
• If you have falloprotez.
• If you have been cases of priapism.
Also need to tell your doctor if you have the following health problems:
• Pathology of the penis such as curvature or birth defects.
• Problems with bleeding.
• Sex infection.
• Redness or itching of the penis.
• Diseases which lead to blood clots or slowed blood flow, such as leukemia (blood cancer), sickle cell disease or its symptoms, or thrombocytosis (increased platelet count).
• Peyronie’s disease.
If you receive alprostadil contraindicated doctor will prescribe you another medication that corresponds to your state of health and medical history.
How does alprostadil in the form of injections?
When using alprostadil in the form of injections, the drug is introduced through the wall of the penis with a syringe and needle. Needle is introduced into the spongy tissue of penis. Once inside, the drug acts on the same principle as the suppository: blood vessels dilate (increase) and blood flow to the penis, which contributes to erectile dysfunction.
How can I inject the drug?
There are several medications, the active substance which is alprostadil. Method of injection for all of these drugs is the same, only differ in methods of preparing mixtures. Make sure you know exactly what medication you are taking, and to fully understand how to mix. As in the case of suppositories, injections alprostadil not apply more often or in larger quantities than is prescribed by a doctor because it may lead to irreversible damage to the penis.
Before you dial the medication into a syringe, wash hands with soap and put a capsule on a clean surface. Necessary to wipe the tops of vials with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Do not wipe the needle with the same cotton swab and vial that!
Alprostadil must enter immediately after the drug is mixed. If fluid remains in the syringe after the injection, discard it. Mixed medication can not be stored for later use. Do not use a needle again!
If you have any questions about the use of medication, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How do I choose the most suitable form of use of drugs?
It all depends on personal preference, as well as the doctor’s advice and your partner. Each method has its pros and cons. For example, injections more painful, but at the same time more effective than suppositories.
Storage of medicines Alprostadil Injection
Alprostadil should be kept in its original packaging away from children. Alprostadil in the form of suppositories can be stored at room temperature in a cool dry place (not in the bathroom) up to 14 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator, but avoid freezing.
In powder form alprostadil can be stored at room temperature in a cool dry place (not in the bathroom) up to three months.
Do not keep medications past their expiry date, where you no longer need.
What are the side effects of Alprostadil Injection has?
Side effects alprostadil not very common, but still occur. Contact your doctor if you notice that any of these symptoms has a pronounced or persistent character:
• Bleeding or discharge from the urethra (it may happen some bleeding)
• Burning in the urethra
• Pain in the penis
Adverse effects associated with injections:
• Bleeding at the injection site
• Pain at the injection site (usually present, but moderate)
• Painful erections
• Bruising or clotted blood at the injection site. Typically, such a cause erroneous injection or a small amount of blood under the skin.
If any of these side effects of a pronounced and long passes, contact your doctor. Immediately contact your doctor in case of the following side effects:
• Curvature of the penis, accompanied by pain during erection
• The erection lasts from 4 to 6 hours and is accompanied by strong and persistent pain in the penis
• Itching or pain in the testicles
• Pain in the pelvic region
• Symptoms similar to flu symptoms.